Development of technology for the manipulation of a by-product of the brewing industry – DRECHE– targeting its use in bakery products.
With an overall investment of over 400 thousand euros, the DRECHE project was financed by the QREN, under the Competitiveness Factors Operational Program, in the amount of 332,474.26 euros, from the European Regional Development Fund (FEDER).
Supported by a cohesive engineering nucleus and an R&D policy of proximity to the national Scientific and Technological System, METALOGONDE is a technology-based company specialized in the development of custom-designed industrial solutions for the food sector, among others.
The technology developed allows the collection and drying of DRECHE in industrial quantities, enhancing its functional properties for human consumption.
As DRECHE is a by-product of the brewing process, available throughout the year and generated in large volumes, its valorization for beer producing countries such as Germany, Greece or China is of special interest, positioning this technology as an excellent export product.
Research on technical-scientific knowledge
Potentials of the DRECHE by-product:
- 23% Protein of vegetable origin
- Fibers, of which 30% are arabinoxylans, with prebiotic properties
- Source of polyunsaturated fatty acids such as linoleic acid
- Considerable contents of calcium, potassium and magnesium
- Presence of polyphenols and carotenoids, groups of antioxidants that work as:
i) Technological improvers, making the dough stronger
ii) Responsible for DRECHE’s considerable antioxidant activity
New processes and products: incorporation of DRECHE flour in bread dough.
- Increase in bread dough yield
- Added 15% protein content
- Plus 24% insoluble fiber and 12% soluble fiber
- Pleasant aroma, appealing color, crunchy crust, tasty crumb and good texture
METALOGONDE developed and built a prototype for drying DRECHE under vacuum.
This equipment works under variable pressure and temperature conditions, allowing the adjustment of moisture extraction in each batch. Working in an automatic and integrated way, this prototype is equipped with various equipment for controlling and measuring the drying process, allowing the operator to vary the drying parameters at any time, with the loss of humidity being controlled in real time.
The instrumentation applied in the prototype also allows collecting data for further treatment and processing.
It also incorporates innovative solutions in terms of energy use, with the incorporation of solar panels and the use of silica to regenerate the drying air.
- Bread rich in omega 3 and omega 6;
- Potentially pre-biotic fibers;
- Rich in calcium, potassium and magnesium;
- Rich in antioxidants.
- Product for the food market with an impact on health.
Food & Nutrition Awards
This project was recognized in the national agri-food sector, having received the 1st Honorable Mention in the Research and Development category of the “Food & Nutrition Awards”.